Thursday, December 20, 2007

I made a pavlova

We had a special lunch today for Mum, my brother and me and I made my very first pavlova. (It's a meringue dessert). It was so yummy with cream and strawberries on it.

Here is a recipe for it.



This is a typical recipe for a "homemade" Pavlova

4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 cup castor sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)

Preheat the oven to 150°C(Gas Mark 2).Beat egg whites and salt in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the castor sugar while beating. Continue until stiff peaks form. Beat in the remaining ingredients, vanilla essence, vinegar and cornflour. Turn mixture out onto a baking paper covered tray. Shape into a circle approximately 23 cm (9 in) in diameter.Reduce oven temperature to 140°C. Bake for 15 minutes, then further reduce the oven temperature to 120°C and bake for 1 ¼ hours. Cool completely in the oven. Top with whipped cream and your choice of fresh fruit.

Some "secrets" to successful Pavlova making!
- Ensure implements are scrupulously clean.
- Never use a copper bowl to beat the eggs.
- Egg whites should be whipped at approximately room temperature.
- Ensure that no yolk gets into the egg white.



Mum and I bought some Henna on Tuesday and we put it in yesterday. I'm so pleased with how it looks. Mum thinks I look just like my cousin (a natural redhead) and now she wants to do her hair. : )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Pavlova...wow!! Cool hair too...I love it. I'm a redhead, but not that beautiful red {sigh}
I'd love to know how you did it...my friend wants to try, but foudn it completley unmanageable :0)

Anonymous said...

Grrrr...that was me "Shell in NZ" or Mrsdebus...you know me, and I love reading your blog :0)
Merry Chrsitmas...only 2 days to go!

Stace and kids said...

Stacey here, Hannah say thanks very much...it was awesomely yummy too!
We found some Henna at a Health 2000 and it was only $3.20. It had no instructions but we found some online and it worked really well. I actually bought another packet yesterday for myself. I'm also a natural redhead but I recently cut it really short and now it's more brown than red. Henna supposedly last for 9mths to a year and strengthens the hair. Damn - I must learn how to link things on this blog. lol
Have a merry, merry Christmas and enjoy your special family time.

Zenmomma said...

I just love the red in your hair! It looks lovely.

Sheron Buchele Rowland said...

You made such a lovely Pavlova that it made my mouth water just looking at it!

I spent a year in your lovely country many years ago (1980), mostly in Upper Hutt. Pavlova was one of my favorite things to eat!

I'll have to try your recipe and tips as I have never been brave enough to try it before! Thank you!

All the best,
Sheron